Week FOUR - Worship History

 Friday, March 9, 2012

In Dan Wilt's EBook, one of the reflection questions seemed perfect for this blog post. Here's what he asked:

In what ways did a work of art, a building, a piece or performance of music shape your own worship life? Is there a favorite song, or a favorite painting, that has had some significant influence in your life as a worshiper? What is it about that song or work of art that moves you?

I have both a song and a quote from another song to answer this question. In all honesty, I could list one hundred song lyrics that have impacted my life in an intense way. I find that I just cling to lyrics so much during the hard times.

The song that changed my worship life is When the Tears Fall by Tim Hughes. The part of the song that got to me most was these lyrics (it's a big chunk of the song - haha):
I've had questions without answers
I've known sorrow, I have known pain
But there's one thing that I cling to
You are faithful, Jesus You're true

When hope is lost
I call You Saviour
When pain surrounds
I call You Healer
When silence falls
You'll be the song within my heart

And I will praise You
I will Praise You
When the tears fall
Still I will sing to You
I will praise You
Jesus praise You
Through the suffering
Still I will sing to You



I was in a worship band what had monthly C&C worship nights when this song came to my attention. My husband and I had walked a 2 1/2 year journey of infertility and had been blessed with a miracle baby girl and now were 2 years into the journey of 2nd infertility. I never thought God would allow me to walk the road twice. So when this song came into our worship night set-list, it took me a while to be able to sing it and actually MEAN it.

There were a few nights when I could sing "Through the suffering, still I will sing" and be joy filled because I knew praising God was what I needed to do, no matter the circumstance. But there were some nights when singing those words took every ounce of emotional energy out of me and they were sang more in desperation then in belief.

This song gave me permission to hurt AND worship at the same time, which changed everything for me. I was always given the impression worship had to be happy and praise filled. That's not the case and spending time in worship when you are at your lowest point can be the most refreshing and God filled moment you will experience.

The quote that changed the way I LEAD worship is by Misty Edwards (I believe she wrote this, Jesus Culture also performs these words):

I don't want to take about you, like you're not in the room.
I want to look right at you, I want to sing right to you.

So many times when I am leading on stage, I can get distracted by what the congregation is doing, or what the musicians are - or are not doing. This quote runs through my head now and puts me back in the place I should be. Worship is ALL about Him. He's standing right there with us, enjoying our worship. It's so easy to forget in all the logistics. But if we don't believe that He is there and that we are able to sing right to Him, then why are we doing it in the first place??

1 comments:

kerri March 10, 2012 at 12:42 PM  

I totally love this, ESPECIALLY after last night's "sing your guts out" night at youth. The line "This song gave me permission to hurt and worship at the same time." . . . SO amazing. I cannot tell you how many times I've felt that but not been able to articulate it.

Might also have to do a blog reflection on this myself :].

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP