Week ONE - Worship History

 Saturday, February 18, 2012

In Dan Wilt's video "The Worship Languages of Time and Space 2", he mentioned something that struck me. He is talking about events that are very important in the timeline of Christianity, mostly Sunday's. Examples would be Advent, Lent, Christmas, Easter Sunday, etc...

In all honesty most of those holidays, except for Christmas, come and go so fast without much attention paid to them, that I tend to forget WHY we honor these days and WHY they should mean so much to me as a believer.

Dan said that "We are so eager to get to the event... and say it's all been done that
we forget to re-anticipate." How true is that?? Do I spend any time thinking about what happened in history to lead up to these important days? Do I reflect on what God DID, on the amazing works that happened?

I realized that I really do not spent time anticipating. I anticipate Christmas because I have to get all of my gifts bought. But do I think about spending time really pressing into my daughter the importance of this holiday? Of the traditions we have?

And I'm surprised by the realization that I don't spend enough time anticipating because I tend to get a little upset by how lackluster many of our church services are around these holidays. I am always thinking that there could have been way more thought put into the services, especially since these are times of the year that many come to church for the first time that season. Why are we not taking those opportunities to reach those walking in the doors? It frustrates me that we don't put more energy into telling the stories and the realities of those events. But maybe the people putting together the services are doing what Dan said. Just happy to have it all done and in place...which is probably how I would be most of the time.

What a challenge to start RE-ANTICIPATING and really pondering the importance of what God has done and all that goes along with the stories in the Bible and applying them to my life NOW.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP